A Christmas letter from Heaven

A few days ago I got out some old Christmas cards that Daryl had given me over the years. Call me crazy, as if I wasn't already in enough pain, right? All of my nicest clothes, high tech gadget gifts and jewelry have been from Daryl, but the gifts that I have treasured the most have been his cards. The last few years I even told him all I wanted was a card. I looked forward to seeing a card placed on my pillow on Christmas Eve. I loved these cards because he would write the most thoughtful messages in them.



This year Daryl mentioned more than once that he thought it would be fun and interesting to write a letter using only phrases from different songs. So this is my attempt to write a Christmas letter as if I were Daryl. I have used some of his favorite artists and songs. It's an attempt. I am in no way as creative and ingenious as he was.

When I left my home and my family I was no more than a boy in the company of strangers-who taught me how to be sensible, logical, oh responsible, practical. But at night when all the worlds asleep the questions run so deep, please tell me who I am. In restless dreams I walked alone, narrow streets of cobblestone 'neath the halo of a street lamp, I turned my collar to the cold and damp, when my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light, that split the night and touched the sounds of silence. Men go crazy in congregations they only get better one by one still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. You better watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical liberal, oh fanatical, criminal. When I hurt, hurting runs off my shoulders, how can I hurt when I'm holding you. Save my love through loneliness, save my love for sorrow. I've given you my only-ness  come and give me your tomorrow. If you believe in me, I'll still believe. Take my hand, and lead me to salvation, take my love for love is everlasting, and remember the truth that once was spoken, to love another person is to see the face of God. When I'm gone, you're gonna miss me when I'm gone. You're gonna miss me by my hair, you're gonna miss me everywhere oh you're gonna miss me when I'm gone but I will wait, I will wait for you. I will wait, I will wait for you!

Holidays can be some of the most difficult "firsts" after a loved one has died. "The presence of their absence is everywhere." - Edna St. Vincent Millay 

Today I had lunch with several dear friends and was reminded by our host that the only thing we can take with us when this life is over are our relationships. It made me think of one of my favorite quotes. "The best things in life aren't things"   Merry Christmas Daryl! I love you too! 
                                                               









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Both Sides Now

Competing and Connecting

60