Live Life without Regrets

One year ago, mid January I was scheduled to work out of town for a week in Great Falls, Montana. While I was there I received a text from Daryl saying he was in Atlanta in hopes of catching a stand-by flight to Lima, Peru. It wasn't a big shock because a few days prior he had asked me the dates of my work trip to Great Falls.  I knew then he was up to something! I even made the assumption, you're planning on going somewhere right? He just laughed and said no, I'm sure it wouldn't work out. So, when I saw the text... I wasn't really happy for him. In fact, I was a little upset. I was working and even though he had a few days off, there were things at home that I thought he should be doing. Then I realized I was mostly bugged because I was in 14 below zero temps and Daryl was on his way to Peru without me. With just a couple of weeks into the new year, my mind went back to our New Years Day tradition of setting goals and one that Daryl expressed was to live life without regrets. Later that day I received this email from him. 


I'm sorry. I should not have left without discussing this with you.

I should be more intimate when it comes to these decisions.  
I am aware you are concerned about money. This trip will cost between 300 and 400 dollars.

I will commit to not leaving on the spur of the moment without discussing it with you first.

I am sorry you are upset and I was not thinking clearly.  We will talk about some of those reasons.

I love you and this did not show that.  

I am in Puno. It has a been an interesting experience. I eat my free breakfast and one other meal a day.  Had my first snack today because I have been hiking/walking for three hours. Fresh orange juice.

Found missionaries.  More later.  Two branches have now become 2 stakes.  Read some of the comments on FB.  I found out some interesting things.

The flight out of Lima now leaves at 2:30, so there shouldn't be any problems, if so we have cheap benefits to get somewhere else.

I don't think as a family we should come here. Too much time and I think our family would rather spend time hiking instead of on a bus.  There is enough to do in Cuzco.

I think coming to Puno was only important to me and it would not have been worth the money when we come with our family. A few of the places I visited were dirtier and more foul than anything in the Philippines. Puno at least has some redeeming value and many memories.

Look forward to seeing you on Monday.

I love you,

Daryl







On that trip to Peru, Daryl posted the word- Melancholy and a friend asked why? 
Daryl Norton The good, the bad, grateful for what I have, sad for the suffering that I was about to see.
There were a couple of reasons he really wanted to go to Peru alone. He went to an area that I would not have wanted to go, La Riconada, a mining town with no police enforcement, no running water, and brutal working conditions. He had a dream to assess the conditions and find a way to help the miners receive better masks to wear for their work. He also wanted to figure out the best way for our family to go back to hike the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. Daryl and I went 5 years ago to all of the areas he had served as a missionary and it was an incredible trip! We wanted to go back with the rest of our family when everyone was married. Last May that dream was crushed until my family reminded me that this is what he would want for us. We will be making that trip this May, missing our fun loving tour guide but I know he will be with us! His presence will be felt! He will be there! 





News Years Day this year was a hard day for me, another first and a reminder of something I've always looked forward to was not going to happen. I have to set goals without Daryl and it's painful. Whenever I start feeling sorry for myself I remember Daryl's goal for 2017- Live Life without Regrets. That's what he would want for me and the rest of us. 










Comments

  1. Beautiful post and I’m so excited for your trip. I can’t wait to hear all about it! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you and the family will have a wonderful time. ❤️ Happy for you ALL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Competing and Connecting

"He was the coolest guy"

On Top of a Mountain...